Friday, February 29, 2008

The Jehovah's Witnesses are Coming!

At least, they say they're coming. For the past three weeks, the Jehovah's Witnesses have come to my house to talk with me about the gospel. Every Saturday at 11 AM, there is a knock at my door. The first week, they didn't stay very long. All they did was introduce themselves and give out their literature. The second week, things got a little more interesting. We got into a discussion about the kingdom of God, the deity of Christ, sin and redemption, and whether or not we should worship Jesus. The third week, they gently challenged my view of the deity of Christ by using Philippians 2:6. The verse says that Christ "did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped." We also talked about texts that teach His divinity, such as John 20:28 and Heb 1:8. I tried to explain the doctrine of the Trinity to them in a simple, straightforward way. I also explained the gospel to them. They said they'd be back next week, which is tomorrow. But before they left, they encouraged me to study Genesis 1 in preparation. I suppose they're going to ask me about the Holy Spirit, who they believe is an impersonal force. So, I'm getting ready for that, but I'm also getting ready to show them what their own New World Translation says about Christ's divinity.

They're supposed to come again at 11. I don't know whether or not they will, but please pray that the Spirit will open their hearts to His Word (Hebrews 4:12-13). They are greatly deceived, and they are oppressed by the Watchtower Organization. They desperately need God's mercy. God is powerful to save. We're going to have cookies and drinks for them tomorrow when they come.

Here is the approach I'm going to take with them. I'll ask, "Would you agree that if the Bible teaches that Jesus is Jehovah God, you must accept that fact, even if you cannot fully understand how Jesus can be both God and man?" Then, I want to take them through the following outline:

1. Deuteronomy 6:4 - There is only one God, Jehovah.
2. Isaiah 43:10-11 - God is Jehovah, the only Savior, and there is no other.
3. Isaiah 44:6 - Jehovah God is the first and the last.
4. Revelation 1:8 - Jehovah is the Lord God Almighty, the Alpha (first) and the Omega (last).
5. Revelation 22:13 - Jesus is the Alpha (first) and the Omega (last), the beginning and the end. See also verse 17. We know Christ is the one speaking because of the repeated phrase, "I am coming soon" throughout the passage (vv. 7, 12, 20).
6. Revelation 1:17-18 - The one God who is the first and the last died and rose again.

I encourage you to write this outline in the back of your own Bible in case you ever have an opportunity to speak with the Jehovah's Witnesses about the hope that is within you. It's adapted from an appendix in Everyday Evangelism by Billie Hanks, Jr.

4 comments:

  1. That's really good Tom! The approach I attempted was to surrender John 1:1 (they wouldn't understand the anarthrous use in Greek anyway) and take them to John 1:3 "All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made." Their version says "besides him" and they read it as "other than him". Frustrating. I like your approach. I'll pray for you and them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayed for you last night. Curious. Did they show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed JWs are wrong in many areas.
    However when it comes to the trinity they are not wrong!!
    (NB: I am not a JW!)

    There is solely ONE GOD,
    that is, the Father.
    [1 Cor 8.4,6]
    Jesus the Messiah calls Him,
    the only true GOD
    [John 17.3]

    Now consider his words:
    (John 10:34-36) Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

    Jesus as the Messiah indeed scripturally explains in what sense, men indeed can be called 'god'

    Moses himself was called 'god' by Almighty GOD. [Exo 7.1, 4.16]

    The judges who were men are called 'god/elohim'
    [Exo 21.6, 22.8-9, 28, Psa 82.6]

    So how much more, the man Messiah Jesus, who is the Son of the ONE GOD; the man approved of the ONE GOD [Acts 2.22] to be the Judge of the Living & the Dead;
    how much more he can be called 'god' in a Messianic, Judicial & Royal sense.
    Hence John 20.28 & Heb 1.8.

    Jesus is therefore not Almighty GOD. He is GOD Almighty's human son, now glorified, even at Almighty GOD's right hand.

    Jesus himself quoted Deut 6.4 as his creed in Mark 12:28-32.
    So, neither Jesus nor the scribe were trinitarian.

    BTW, it is the angel that is speaking in Rev 22:7ff; simply delivering the message given him from Christ. Christ is not the actual speaker.
    Look again at verse 8.
    (Rev 22:8-9) And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which showed me these things. 9 Then saith he unto me, ...

    Also remember, Almighty GOD alone inherently has immortality.
    [1 Tim 6.16]
    Immortality means 'one cannot die'
    GOD CANNOT DIE!
    Yet Jesus, the ONE GOD's Son died for our sins.
    Yet, another plain indicator, that Jesus the Messiah is not Almighty GOD!

    Find out more by viewing the video at:

    The Human Jesus

    Yours In Messiah
    Adam Pastor

    ReplyDelete